Phani's Blog Corner

Sunday, October 19, 2008

No Stereo. Only Mono.

I would rate yesterday a well spent sunday. I got to watch "A Wednesday", very intense and the most sensible storyline in a bollywood movie so far. Skipping over the details of the sucky afternoon spent on watching the super flop movie "Kidnap", the evening is worth mentioning.

My Girlfriend's brother Chandan is in town, to spend his birthday with his girlfriend, Soumya so we decided all 4 of us should catch up over dinner and drinks. Soumya is not much of a drinker so we ordered a pina colada for her to sip on, thru the course of the evening. She takes her first sip and says "Didi (my GirlFriend Mini)! My throat feels warm". We assure her that it is normal and get back to ordering some munchies before the main course. She takes the second sip after a lot of deliberation and pushes the drink aside saying she doesn't like it much. We again assure her that she is under no pressure and that whatever she is feeling now will be gone by the end of the meal. Midway thru our main course Soumya volunteers, "I am feeling better now. Few minutes ago I could only hear in mono. Now I am able to hear in stereo" :). After having a long and good laugh at her innocently put heavily geeky statement we informed her how that is not possible with the miniscule amount of alcohol she had consumed.

By virtue of being a software professional and being surrounded by a lot of them I've heard a couple of geeky ones but, this kind of comment coming from a female (I carry this impression that women do not like to make geeky jokes or people who make them and that the much treasured works of art like Dilbert are simply lost on them :)) and that too one from an arts background sure sounded funny to me and it stayed with me and tickled me for quite sometime. Even when I was pulled over for a breathalyzer test at the police check point on the way back home I was smiling profusely (if not exactly laughing out loud) thinking of the incident. The cop couldn't make heads or tails of the scenario . Although he saw all signs of a drunken silly man his brethalyzer wasn't giving him any good reason to arrest me or pester me for a bribe. He had to let me go after banging the instrument on his hand and repeating the test 4 times with it being placed closer and closer to my mouth every time :).

Cheers!
/PhaKuDi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home