Phani's Blog Corner

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Meeting a Freemason


I paid a little visit to my dentist today and found a card on his desk with an emblem of the Freemason printed on it. The golden masonic square and the bejewelled compass were set as if they were breaking out of dark clouds covering blue skies. I got really curious and asked him if he were a freemason. I got an affirmative. I couldn't hide the excitement in my eyes over meeting the member of a partly (if not predominantly) secretive organization that I have read about only in books. He sensed the excitement in me and asked me how I came to know about the freemason. I told him how and I also added that I've always wanted to be one. He assured me that I could count on him for a referral in to the brotherhood. Our not-so-short meeting ended after few more minutes of general conversation.

Hmm I have no clue how stringent the Indian chapter of Freemasonry is about new additions to their brotherhood but, from what I have gathered so far (about the freemason in general), I am quite sure my dentist is a perfect candidate to get induced into the brotherhood. He does believe in the supreme being, he is inclined towards a good amount of charity if not oodles of social service. But, more importantly he is true to the masonic spirit of bettering one's knowledge. Apart from updating himself with the latest in his field of study, he also keeps himself abreast with all round developments in the medical field. You should have heard him describe a single trauma ward cubicle setup which is capable of an X-ray powerful enough to locate a glass splinter as small as 150 microns in length stuck in the plethora of nerves among the lungs and blowing it up on to a 8ft x 4ft screen without having to get the patient off the bed. He was also kind enough to actually explain me the difference between an emergency ward and a trauma ward. One short informal meeting with the man and one will understand his thirst for knowledge. I have thoroughly enjoyed my conversations with him, especially about cars. He subscribes to 4 different auto magazines and is a major buff of the Indian automobile industry. In all, a very delightful fellow to meet if you have the time and enthsiasm to speak about anything ranging from neonatology to nano technology. I am hounoured to have met him and known him at more sociable terms rather than just as my dentist and the fact that he is a freemason adds to my admiration for him.

/PhaKuDi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home